Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Day One (and two, I was preoccupied)


Yay me! I managed to stay up until 8:30 p.m. Sydney time on the plane, so the adjustment wasn’t too bad. The tour was awesome, Bondi was great (shout out to Andre for letting us get a lift in), and I’m gonna start saving for one of those beach houses when I get back. The food at the hotel is amazing – that Hawaiian schnitzel was absolutely incredible.

I think the discussion was just as good, if not better – no offense – than the lectures themselves. I’ve had experience with concussions in sports and in the military. It’s interesting to consider how similar the issues are. You get your bell rung in football, coach grabs you by the shoulders, asks if you’re ok, and sends you back in. Similarly, on deployment, you get your bell rung (usually by an explosion), your medic checks you out, makes sure you’re not bleeding out, and you carry on. There are a lot of grey areas and lines that have to be drawn, both in adult sports and with kids. Where do you draw the line between protecting your child and raising a snowflake in a bubble? I doubt many will agree on how to draw all of those lines.


The cruise was way too short. It was beautiful. I love being out on the lake (Murray), so any chance to hit the water is welcome. I’m glad I remembered the flag this time. The nightlife on the rocks was awesome too. I don’t think I’ve experienced anything here yet that wasn’t fun and awesome. We found a place to salsa, and made our way to the 3 Monkeys that Mark pointed out on the tour. The DJ was killin it with American hip-hop. So far, I see a lot of similarities to some cities in the US, but also some obvious differences (Damn the Metric system). I’m not in a hurry to leave Sydney, but I’m anxious to see how Cairns compares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment