Saturday, May 27, 2017

Savage Lecture Reviews, et al.

So, I definitely stayed out too late on Tuesday night. I felt it during the morning lectures at James Cook University. I still managed to pay attention and soak up most of the information. It was pretty wild to see what all researchers and health providers must go through to reach the indigenous communities in the bush. All of those scenarios were very thought provoking. Some of it reminded me of interacting with communities in Iraq, Africa, and Afghanistan. "Winning hearts and minds", as it were. The heat chamber wasn't very hot - it kinda reminded me of spring back home. And clearly Dr. Deakin didn't come prepared for Dr. Yeargin. That was a scolding review on the bus! I'll be sure to check my sources around her! Dr. Bird seemed very knowledgeable. Though, I suppose you have to be to coach an Olympic team. No offense to him but I still have a hard time seeing badminton as an Olympic sport... The intense rock music in that video was probably better suited for rugby. I had fun in the gym though. I like when there's interactive components to lectures.

The trip to crystal cascades was nice. I think it was a bit short, but it was fun. I would've liked to have found some higher rocks to jump from. The water wasn't as cold as I expected, which is always welcome. The longer break between lectures was perfect. Made the last two easier to look forward to. As much as I have strayed from any decent nutrition plan as of late, the nutrition information really interests me. I'll be starting EXSC 507 as soon as we get back. The Physio didn't seem like he was too interested in being there. His lecture seemed a bit more dry and less engaging. I apologize to everyone for the chips... Y'all know I have to eat a lot, and it was that or a candy bar (no sweet tooth here).

I'm incredibly sore from this week. I ran the morning before we had the first fitness class, swam all day Tuesday, swam more on Wednesday, then went to the boxing class Thursday morning. That was a tough class. It was a lot of fun, especially once we all got gloved up. I love that most everyone joined in on the Rocky theme during the run, and I'd pick Maz to have my back in a fight. He had some pretty solid combos.

The Daintree was amazing! Now that water hole was cold, but we had fun eavesdropping on English conversations and saving babies from the deep abyss. The zip line was a bit short and slow for my taste, but the staff was cool. I tried yo have a song ready for each line. I think everyone had a great time at PK's and Ferntree. It got a bit wild, but it was definitely entertaining.  I'm still blown away that there are two bars that nice in a town of 65... That said, I'm pretty sure I got sick from sleeping in that room at PK's where it was -200°. I feel miserable (not at 'man cold' status yet). The free day was short but it was worth it to stay the night in the rainforest. We napped and got coffee after, bought souvenirs, took a quick dip in the lagoon, and went off to dinner at Mondo. I do wish we had one more day in Cairns. Friday night had the potential to a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment