Monday, May 29, 2017

Progression of Awesomeness

I'm not sure if it was planned this way intentionally, but each destination has been better than the last. Gold Coast is incredible. Cairns is a very close second just because of the reef and the rainforest, but this place takes the cake. Dr. Carroll is a really cool guy. I can imagine he's a really fun professor! When I got a football in my hands (Aussie or not) I was like a kid. I've been feigning for some football. I'm really bummed we got delayed and had to forego the Aussie Football games. I'm sure the ladies loved the surf shop. And it was pretty cool. But I can buy Billabong on Amazon for less. I think us guys were just wandering around and looking at boards. I was a bit disappointed with the "surf lessons." Granted, having not surfed in 13 years, I didn't do very well anyway. But every time I did get up on the board, I either sank because the wave wasn't big enough for my heavy ass, or I had to wipe out to avoid impaling someone in front of me. No surfer I know would pack that many people in that small of an area for 30 minutes and call it a surfing lesson. The hotel rooms are awesome (even though the A/C is crap), and the view is unbelievable! Several of us went out for Mexican and I had some delicious tacos. Oh, how I miss San José.

I'm not a club guy. Period. We went out to the club and it took all that I had not to start breaking noses when guys were constantly bumping into me, obviously trying to bump their way to a young lady. Looking over the crowd I was slightly amused and mildly disturbed. Everyone with me had a good time, and that made it worth it. Will is probably the most talented rapper I know, personally. Unfortunately, I had to suffer through my mysterious Daintree virus during the surfing lecture and Dr. Yeargin and Dr. Mazoue's time, but I made it with the help of some coffee. It's pretty wild to consider all of the surf clubs they have here, and the shear number of life savers that augment the life guards. I have always planned to do my undergrad and grad school at USC, but between Dr. Yeargin's advice and the visit to Bond University, I think I may want to diversify my education. Maybe Bond, maybe Pitt... I spent the afternoon after those lectures napping, doing laundry, getting a haircut, and enjoying the hot tub. Then it was off to an amazing dinner, and - face plant into the bed. Damn the Daintree virus.

I was barely able to get up this morning after taking the night time medicine last night. I was a bit hesitant to take the day time meds after Arslan went toes up in the classroom. I'm glad I made it through the lectures though, because Dr. Orr blew my mind. I know he contradicted a lot of what we think we know, and I like it. Just "sounding confident" doesn't get you a job with SOCOM. There's gotta be something behind all that. He had a reference for every word, and his explanations were outstanding. I would love to come study under him for a Master's - even if it didn't necessarily get me ahead for my PhD. I think it would still be worth it. The facility was awesome as well. That gym had me pretty hyped. I can't wait to get back to meal preps and daily workouts... Other than that, I could just stay here for a few more weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment