Wednesday, May 24, 2017

If I don't come home from Australia...

...then I'm probably somewhere in Cairns, working on a dive boat or bartending, and living as a backpacker. I love this place. The Army duck ride was cool. Even though it had nothing to do with military history, I enjoy riding in old military equipment - for obvious reasons. The tribal stuff was cool too. I can now say that I've learned - and performed - an aboriginal dance, and attempted to throw a boomerang. The hostel is much different than the ones I stayed in in Europe. I'm not a fan of toast for breakfast, but it'll do with some cereal. I like free. The food out in town has been good. I do miss eating at the great southern. The weather here is perfect. I love the heat, so I've been looking forward to the temperature change from Sydney. The nightlife is pretty fun... Us guys have had to play catch up after sleeping through the first night at woolshed. That long rest was much needed though.

I had a good time at the zoo. I think the amount of time between the farming explanation/boat ride and the snake and croc shows was a bit excessive, but we had a deck of cards to keep occupied after seeing all there was to see. That said, the snake and croc shows were awesome. Those guys know their stuff and they know how to entertain a crowd. The croc guy was hilarious. I was honestly a little disappointed in the fitness class. I'm not saying it was easy, but I thought we'd be running up the beach and using the cool machines they have set up along the running trail. I could've come up with a more complex and interesting workout off the top of my head.

Diving the Great Barrier Reef was indescribable. That entire day was just beyond words. The ride, the crew, the food, the dive, happy hour with the crew after... By far the best part thus far. I almost got cheap and didn't dive. I'm glad I changed my mind. It was just me and the instructor. We found two giant oysters that were chiiling wide open. He rubbed one and it slammed shut. Then I witnessed a live crown-of-thorns starfish execution when he peeled it off the reef and stabbed it in the mouth! I snorkeled the second reef and found Nemo. Being the anchor on the net for that drag was bad enough once, let alone twice. I ingested way too much salt water on the way back. When we did get back a couple of the girls and I went to happy hour at Pier Bar with the crew. That's a great bunch. I ended up hanging out with them a little later than I probably should have... But it was fun.

When in Cairns...

No comments:

Post a Comment